[Coco] Can anyone explain this?

Thu Feb 28 22:58:12 EST 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 8:42 PM, john poco wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150219137168&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005
>
> This has GOT to be some kind of scam. Or an I missing something?

There does seem to be a run on bidding for CoCo 1's over the past few
days.  In this case, at least one of the bidders seems to be a general
collector of old computers.  Dedicated collectors seem more willing to
run prices up if they want something now.  Since no Extended BASIC
manual seems to be shown in the photos, I'm guessing this may just be
a plain Color BASIC machine, too.

In contrast, last month I picked up a rare albino CoCo 1 in box and in
excellent condition.  Complete set of manuals were in mint condition,
and it came with a collection of game paks complete with mint
manuals.  The price?  $31.

By the way, has anyone ever seen a 3003B CoCo 1 with a serial number
greater than 10000?  I'm curious as to how rare these beasts actually
are.

J.P.