[Coco] Coco Contiki

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Feb 26 04:56:14 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 01:54:12PM -0500, John W. Linville wrote:

> I've never understood why ethernet is seen as a barrier to entry for
> developing a coco tcp/ip stack.  90% of the code can be developed
> just using serial hardware and SLIP framing.  If/when you get that
> working, then adding ethernet framing, ARP, and an ethernet driver
> will seem trivial by comparison.

True.  I think part of it is that the "ethernet controller" chips
under discussion have most (all?) of TCP/IP implemented in hardware,
so our poor little 8-bit doesn't have to actually grind its way
through the HUGE mass of code that is IP networking by itself.

In theory, we have SLIP, but I've never been able to get the OS-9 port
of KA9Q to actually talk to a slip server at the other end of the
serial line.  AFAIK no one else has, either.  Plus, the d00d never
released his source. :-(

Another part of it is hardware envy.  If the C64 can do ethernet then
then CoCo SHOULD, too. ;-)

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA