[Coco] [coco] OS-9 CRC check

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 21:31:55 EST 2008

----- Original Message ----- George Ramsower   wrote:

>>>  I don't know, but I thought the CRC check in OS-9 L2  would ensure that
>>> a module was okay to use. I feel that this may not be the case as this
>>> morning, I had a problem saving a file from Basic09. It just wouldn't
>>> stop trying to save it.  I let it try for several minutes. It would move
>>> the floppy drive's head back and forth and finally, I reset the CC3 and
>>> rebooted. Once done, using Basic09, I reloaded a backup of the stuff and
>>> saved it as I did the first time and it worked.
>>>

> I see nothing in your description of the problem that indicates module CRC
> checking would have prevented it.
>
> --
 This means the CRC only checks the integrity upon loading?

 I suppose it could be just a glitch as you suggested. It's very rare that
my OS=9 ever fails to work properly, unless it's a hardware problem. Then
it's time to clean up connections and re-seat chips and the like. However,
this time was different and I thought I would check in on it.
 It's fine now after the re-boot. Fortunately, not only do I backup the
files with a .bu extension, but I regularly backup the floppy onto my other
coco with a hard disk and also onto other floppies.
 You never can be too careful.

 If it were only so simple on the XP box.

George