[Coco] Legal status of Multivue and Basic09

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 5 21:53:38 EST 2008

Diego Barizo wrote:
> I know that NitrOS-9 is GPL. What is the status of Multivue and Basic09?
> Has anybody been able to run GShell 1.26 in NitrOS-9 (Not OS-9)?
> What other updated versions are around? I know that at some point there
> was a "branch" and 2 different upgrade paths.
>
> And finally... Is there a "nice" NitrOS-9 website ? Like the one before
> the project was moved to sourceforge?
>

> Diego

NitrOS-9 is not GPL and the de facto status is that if we don't bother
the current owners of OS-9, they pretend NitrOS-9 does not exist.

Whether NitrOS-9 is sufficiently different from OS-9 to be safe from a
lawsuit is a question for lawyers. Whether the NitrOS-9 team original or
current could afford any kind of legal action, I consider very unlikely.
So don't abuse our current status with NitrOS-9 by making waves.

Basic09 and Multivue are part of the source code but have not been part
of a release except for RunB. The latest NitrOS-9 release is 03.02.06
but the source code is at version 03.02.07. I don't know when it will be
released or if more binaries will be included.

Keep in mind that while there have been contributions from many
interested parties, NitrOS-9 currently is pretty much a one man show,
Boisy Pitre. If you would like to see the project move forward or in
another direction, don't complain, become an active contributor.