[Coco] Still having problems with Assembler

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Feb 3 22:34:08 EST 2008

At 06:37 PM 2/3/2008, you wrote:

>Can anyone see what is wrong with this assembler program?
>
>000050                     ORG     16384
>000100         START       JSR     43304
>000110         BK1         NOP
>000120                     END     START
>
>It assembles with zero errors; when I try to do a GSTART in the
>Zdebugger, the application just hangs.  Shouldn't I at least get a
>cleared screen?

There's lots of patched versions of EDTASM.  Don't expect to deal
with the BASIC ROMs from within EDTASM or ZBUG.  There's no guarantee
that the assembler's buffers are not using the space in the "All-RAM" mode.

I know I've got "Super Patched EDTASM", "Disk EDTASM", "Tape EDTASM",
and various other unoriginal copies, and some of them do use the ROM
area if I recall right.

>I've even tried to set a breakpoint at BK1 with:
>
>X BK1 at the # prompt.
>
>I'm starting to wonder if trying to write assembler code in an emulator
>is not a very good idea?
>
>Chuck

The emulators are virtually the same as a real CoCo.  Using an
emulator shouldn't be causing the problem you seem to be having with
calling the CLS routine.