[Coco] simulation a hi-res joystick adaptor

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Feb 10 23:01:19 EST 2008

Hey guys,

While Robert Gault is checking to see if a recent bug fix cured a
mouse cursor problem, I'm looking at the latest code for my hi-res
simulator giving a smooth traveling, smart behaving mouse/joystick
cursor in my Jeweled game.  The formula is quite simple and combines
speed-based delta movement with direct coordinates to give a cursor
similar to how it works on the PC.

The only difference is that on a PC it appears to be 100% delta
based, meaning that if you position the mouse cursor, unplug your
mouse, move the mouse around randomly, plug it back in, the cursor
will still be in the same spot, then you can move it from that
location.  On the CoCo using my code, the cursor travels towards the
actual coordinates in a smooth fashion, fast or slow depending on the
speed you move the mouse or joystick.  I'm seeing almost 1 or 2-pixel
precision over a 320x200 graphics screen using the standard 6-bit
ADC.  Ofcourse, there's no guarantee you can land the cursor on a
certain pixel since the formula doesn't try to do this, but if you
move the mouse slow enough you can see it travel a pixel or two at a
time in any direction.  Move the mouse faster and the cursor travels
faster to that location but still in a smooth fashion.  This is
actually a forumla I proved to work back in the late 80's but moved
onto other projects and whatever I was working on at the time was
forgotten about.  I think it was a Windows type interface for CoCo 2 BASIC.

OS-9 Level II could have a hi-res mouse for Multi-Vu without any
adaptor using any ole standard black cube stick, deluxe joystick, or
better yet... a CoCo box mouse.  :)   I'll post the code for my mouse
routine when I pretty up the comments.  The code is unrolled for
speed which is VERY important for any game, OS, or app that polls the
joystick and needs all-around speed.

The Jeweled game hopefully can now progress to the next level which
is the actual game logic.  The framework to the game is pretty much
done, using a 128k memory map and playable on any CoCo 3 at this
point, but I'm considering making it a 512k game so I can add in the
rocking jams and sound effects to make the game more thrilling.  The
framework can be used as a game engine for future games and that's
where most of the work has gone in the beginning, preparing to make
other games even quicker to design.

I expect to continue my "Agent C" adventure after Jeweled.  It will
also feature the smart mouse cursor, larger but fewer sprites, and
lots of screens in the cartoonish Microsloth headquarters.  Agent C
will be a 512k game.  The main part of that game will be the rooms
and objects information, and there will be much more data than code
in that game and Jeweled as well.

Btw, check out the new screenshot of Jeweled on coco3.com.  That's
not a mockup image but it's a snapshot from M.E.S.S. which is showing
what you would see on a RGB monitor.