[Coco] NitrOS-9

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Feb 6 10:40:17 EST 2008

Diego,

> I thought it was GPL because that's how it's listed in Sourceforge.
> The reason for my questions is that I've been working in a NitrOS-9
> project.
> I noticed that 4 of the most usual problems / complaints are:
> Problems making a custom boot disk (For me, the included scripts work
> like a charm, but...)

The scripts are probably the best, most flexible solution for creating
custom boot disks, short of writing a specialized program (that would
probably have to be updated every release to accommodate changes).

> Problems getting M.V. to run

The NitrOS-9 Project has a build for Multi-Vue, but it isn't
distributed.

> Limited usability of the EDIT command as text editor

Granted.  I would love to include Ved, but Bob van der Poel wants to
keep selling it.  A visual editor would be  a welcome addition to the
standard distribution.

> And lack of Basic09  in the NitrOS-9 disks

That has been addressed in the current "tip of tree" in the NitrOS-9
Project.  Current plan is to put Basic09 on the Modules disk in the
next release, very similar to what Tandy did with OS-9 Level Two.

> So I decided to get involved and try to create a new "distribution".
> The goal was/is to provide 2-3 disks with Basic09 included, MV ready
> run, a full screen text editor, and an easier(?) way to make a
> custom disk.
> I solved the Basic/MV/Editor already, and I'm writing a program that
> could give a "user-friendly" interface to the script editing needed to
> customize a boot disk.
> But before starting to make it available on the net, I thought it
> would
> be smart to see what the situation was regarding distribution of those
> programs.

I think your efforts are great; my request is that you please work
under the umbrella of the NitrOS-9 Project.  A lot of the work you
want to do is already done/in progress.  My suggestion is to get set
up using ToolShed to build the NitrOS-9 Project and work from within
that framework.

> Regarding the NitrOS-9 site, I was thinking about "fast talking" a
> friend who just installed a server to donate the hosting.
> I could do some work on it, and a .info domain goes for under $5 a
> year.

Hosting is not an issue; we've got plenty of space to host  a website
on SourceForge.  What we need is a nice web page.  Your efforts in
getting that accomplished would be welcome.

> Maybe I should have asked Boisy directly, but I figured that he and
> anyone else involved would be reading the list.

I get the list in "digest mode" so I can quickly skim for interesting
messages.

Boisy