[Coco] Why do we need a CoCo 4? (Long irrelevant rant)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Dec 29 20:37:31 EST 2008

On 29 Dec 2008 at 11:00, Bill Barnes wrote:

> The PLUS to the fpga idea is, we can extend the 6809/6309 core, if
> need be to include real 16-bit and even possibly 32-bit operations by
> creating op-codes that the 6809/6309 haven't used or reserved... we
> could have a 681609 or 631609 on our hands that way. Possibly using
> the 6309 trick and have a third mode (6809,6309,631609).

Yes one could expand the 6809 core. As far as I know there is no 6309 IP
core in existance, yet. What I have coded is still early in design. The
register stack and the ALU are rather easy to code. Doing the rest and
achieving decent speed is a bit more taxing. Right now the ALU has a max
of  10 nS combinatorial delay from input to output. Now to get the rest to
move that fast.

Yes I have ideas of what could be done to improve the 6809/6309 core.
One would be to do what RISC controllers do, pipeline fetches. That is
doable in an FPGA.

Multimode processor is doable but would take up a lot of resources on the
chip if there is significant differences. That now takes the computer out of
the realm of hobby sized FPGAs and what could be done in a QFP
package. Very large FPGAs , >500K gates, are all BGA package. That
requires 6/8 layer PCB design. One alternative is to code the processor in
such a way that when you synthesize it you can tell it which processor you
want. This is done with one core that is either a Z80, 8080, fast Z80 or the
GameBoy processor. That core runs at 35MHz. I also have a core that is
selectable for a 6502, 65C02, or 65C816 by two pins.

To do an enhanced opcode is really a nightmare in getting consesus on
what to add and what not to add. Personally I would like to see more
instructions like that in the HC11/HC12. BRCLR and BRSET are nice
instruction. The IDIV and FDIV are more fucntional than what the 6309
has. That also requires someone to rewrite assemblers and any compilers
for new instructions. That is out of my realm of expertise. I am a hardware
dude that can do some programming.

james