[Coco] Why do we need a CoCo 4? (Long irrelevant rant)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Dec 29 19:59:57 EST 2008

On 29 Dec 2008 at 10:34, John Eric wrote:

> It's not so much of a need as it is a want. I just want one. I think
> Gary's CC3FPGA may eventually be just that. Too bad I can't figure out
> how to compile the thing after having bought a Digilent Spartan board
> w/1000kgate. We all have our opinions, I guess. I just miss the
> simpler times when programming was simple and fun and not so much of a
> chore.... JE

You will need XLINX Webpack ISE. Any version greater than 8 I believe will
work. If you have XP with SP2 or SP3 then I recommend Webpack 9.2 SP3.

By the way which Digilent board did you get? Gary's code is written for the
Digilent Spartan 3 board. It has on board 1Meg of Static RAM. Also has a 1
Million gate Spartan 3. If different then you will have to modify his Verilog
code to match your device. I started looking into rewriting his Verilog code into
VHDL so that it would not be a mixed mode. That is not a real problem now
that ISE better handles mixed codes(VHDL/Verilog)

His code is a good first attempt at a Coco3 in an FPGA. The CPU09 VHDL
code is from John Kent and he has an updated version that corrects a few
minor bugs. The overall speed of the CPU section is about 25 MHz.

james