[Coco] Why do we need a CoCo 4? (Long irrelevant rant)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Dec 29 19:00:40 EST 2008

On 29 Dec 2008 at 18:05, BookWorm wrote:

> Who cares?
>
> No offence intended, but I don't. I'm very much more interested in
> getting more out of the CoCo 3. It exists. As far as I can tell no
> actual CoCo 4-8 does, and it doesn't look like one ever will. Wouldn't
> all this daydreaming and speculative engineering be better spent on
> real products that do exist or that are worth the trouble of making?

No offense taken.

Not is totallity does a Coco4 exist. Or at least in hardware. Emmulators
by far do a better job of what a Coco4 could be. Mark at Cloud9 has
done a lot towards doing products that retro fit into the current Coco3. In
that aspect your concern over effort is being addressed.

>From my point, setting up a Coco3 with disk drives and MPI is not an
option. As much as I would love to, I do not have the room at this time
to do so. So where my ideas lead me towards a more compact Coco.
Whether you call it a 3/4/5/.... is immaterial. My basic requirements
would be small size and use a modern LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse
and storage. I tend to lean towards USB drives and nonvolitile USB
memory.

In using a LCD monitor, I envision a base screen of 800x600 8bit color.
Then DECB can operate out of a window of appropriate size depending
on the setting of the HRES and CRES bits. There are other things that
can be done.

Remember ideas stimulate research which in turn become a reality.
Albeit at times rather slowly.

james