[Coco] Future CoCo discussion (was CoCoNet)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Mon Dec 29 09:32:08 EST 2008

We are definitely thinking along similar lines! One thing I noticed when looking at the mini X86 compatible boards is that a lot of the smaller ones don't have much I/O on the board itself, but on expansion cards. I only looked at those with video built in (standard VGA monitor), as that would be imperative. But it might be acceptable to use a standard CoCo as a terminal to one of those, or connected via something like CoCoNet. I really like the old Ampro "Little Board", but they are still expensive (over $500... the LB is in 5.25" drive format, a full computer could be built in a single full height drive case). PC/104 types are cheaper.

I really like the idea of using USB storage devices, that would be a nice addition. CoCoNet gives that access though. Which brings me back to using a mini X86 compatible in a case with a hard drive with CoCoNet. Add a USB connector to it and you could even have printer emulation built in, solving all the storage and printing problems in one piece of hardware connected to the "useless" bit-banger port.

Too bad I can't program anymore! I only had a decent knowledge of DECB, and even then had to rely a lot on notes/books to struggle through a good program! The only thing I ever wrote that was really good was "The CoCo Family Recorder" (I think that's the name...) genealogy database. I cehated on that one -- I started out trying to port a DOS program, but had to re-write 80% or more of it for the CC3. I did credit the other program though, in the title screen I had "based on" that program. It was a LOT more than a conversion -- only the menus could more or less be converted, everything that really did something had to be extensively re-written. Still, I had a nice "road map" to follow, which was extremely helpful!