[Coco] Future CoCo discussion (was CoCoNet)

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Dec 28 18:14:28 EST 2008

Frank I tend to agree with you in that there are those that want emulation
and those that would like hardware.

Hardware route using an FPGA is best taken using existing boards. The
problem there is no one board is "prefect" for a Coco4. Ones that would be
near perfect also exceed the $500 price tag. Virtex/5 boards can exceed
$1000.

designing one exclusively for Coco4 may not be a viable cost alternative.
Any large FPGA is going to require an 8 layer board as the chip will be in
BGA package. Better to use a less perfect development board that has
sufficient expansion capability and add boards to the expansion ports.

james