[Coco] CoCoNet

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sun Dec 28 18:02:10 EST 2008

On 27 Dec 2008 at 19:08, Roger Taylor wrote:

> On top of that, a DB-9 to bluetooth wireless device can be attached to
> the CoCo, and a cheap bluetooth USB dongle on the PC (to add a
> wireless COM port), and you've got a wireless CoCo with internet and
> virtual disk capabilities.  The internet support will grow but for now
> you can fetch web files, and by appending parameters to the request
> URL, a LOT can be done to give the CoCo the power to use the internet.
>
> How about a multiplayer CoCo game, anyone?  If each game posts it's
> status to a web server and the readback file contains the other
> player's statuses, there you go.

how about a USB interface to read thumb Drives and USB hardrives? Add some software
and about $20 and that could be done. FTDI makes the Vinculum chip. Use their VDIP1/2
modules and you can access any USB storage device. It handles all the FAT requirements.
It can be accessed in FIFO mode, SPI mode or serial mode. The only drawback I have seen
on this chip is that in FAT 32 mode it will not support long file names.. Only 8.3 format.
There is a simple command set that is communicated to the chip.

Also program the same chip with different software, freely available, and add VS1003 chip
and you have a WMA/MP3 player. Both could be done for about $50.

james