[Coco] Converting DSK files

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 21:50:02 EST 2008

From: "Darren A"

> On 12/27/08, George Ramsower wrote:
>>  A couple of years ago, I tried the various things or maybe one... I
>> don't
>> remember.. from this PC W-XP SP2. I never could get a coco disk to work
>> on a
>> coco.
>>
>>  I don't remember the details of what I was doing or how I did it.
>>
>>  Is there a new, improved way of doing this today? I think I'd like to
>> try
>> some of the DSK stuff that is available now.
>>
>>  George
>
> --
>
> If your intention is to read/write CoCo disks on a Win XP machine with
> a 360K floppy drive (or a 3.5 inch drive using DD media) then you can
> try my CoCo Disk utility:
> <http://excalibur1.net/coco/CoCoDisk_v05.zip>
>
> It also requires that you install Simon Owen's fdrawcmd floppy driver:
> <http://simonowen.com/fdrawcmd/>
>
> This same driver allows you to access real floppy disks using the VCC
> emulator.
>
> Darren

 That was WAY too easy. I had Koronis Rift on my PC and simply wrote it to a
preformatted disk(in the wrong format) and it still booted on my coco and
ran. I also have it on an original floppy but, I had to see if this would
work.

 I had that floppy formatted as 80DD. I understand the tracks are the same
and the info transferred will only be placed on the appropriate tracks so
this figures.
 I only use 3.5 720K floppies.
 I suppose next I will need to make a DSK image from a real coco floppy.

 Oh, what fun! I think Gene Heskett will be a recipient of the currrent
floppy I''m using in my Coco CNC project.

 This was so easy it should be illegal.

Okay, now I have to dig around and find a couple of joysticks for my cocos.
I have 'em, just don't know where they are. I even have a "Deluxe"
joystick... somewhere.

 I do have a bunch of  games but, I've played them 'till I'm tired of them.
It's time to check out the "undiscovered" stuff out there and begin
discovering Nitros9. I haven't had good luck with that on my one system that
uses a hard drive but, that's another issue.

George