[Coco] Possible CoCo Bulletin Board forum

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Dec 26 09:29:29 EST 2008

On Friday 26 December 2008, Steven Hirsch wrote:

>>> I would be very concerned about putting all my eggs in one basket like
>>> that.  My working theory on hard drives is that there are two types:
>>>
>>> Those that have failed already and those that are about to.
>>
>> I tend to agree, but it has also been my experience that if one peruses
>> the logs, you will see an error or 30 before they drop over.  I use that
>> for a hint to get my butt to town and get another drive and copy it to the
>> new drive, before the failure is total.  I have done that twice since 2001
>> when I switched.
>
>This is drifting a bit off-topic (perhaps an understatement), so one last
>remark.  Google published a comprehensive study of drive reliability based
>on their own in-house experience with the subject.  ISTR that they found
>little correlation between advance warnings from SMART and impending
>failure.  I guess it comes down to one's comfort factor in the long run,
>though.

I look at them occasionally just for grins & if I see an error than smartctl
gets a wakeup call.  A drive with 200k logged retries is soon laying in a
pile of similar drives, to be used for test installs, a paperweight or
whatever around here.  A little paranoia is cheap compared to losing it all.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)