[Coco] So how about sequels for classic CoCo games like Ghana Bwana in 3D for PC and Consoles?

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Wed Dec 24 19:05:24 EST 2008

From: Sean <badfrog at gmail.com>
> You know, I never even knew there was tech support available for the
> CoCo...  Could you just call in or what?
> Don't think I would have ever had a need for it, everything was pretty
> self explanatory.  I would have just been calling in to say "how do
> you get past the Anaconda in Dallas Quest?"  (Which I do remember the
> answer to. :)

I did not offer solutions to games, as I was not (and am not) a gamer.  When I say technical support, I mean technical support.  Problems reading disks, getting serial setups right, hassles with poor documentation, the real thing.  I will state that half of the folks on this list are more technically competent in the guts of the Color Computer than I ever was.  I did _retail level_ tech support, which in an RSCC was merely a step or two above asking the pimply faced youth at your local mall Radio Shack store.  The most advanced I ever got in those days was setting up a multi-user OS-9 Level One system in the classroom of my RSCC.  Which I think had some hack value at the time (1984).  By then I'd been into Xenix for over a year, the OS-9 docs mentioned commands that implied the capability, so I tried it.  It worked, though poorly (the bit-banger lost characters if you typed on the terminal (a Coco with a Vidtex cartridge) while the floppy on the "server" was being accessed).
  It wa
s about $6k less than a T6k setup.  (Though the T6k had eight times as much RAM and a dozen more and faster megabytes of storage and a 68k instead of a 6809 -- oh, and real terminals with real keyboards -- I was never happy with the standard issue Color Computer keyboards, from the chiclet to the Coco 3).
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

I thought about being diplomatic and polite.  Honest, I really did.  But while I was thinking about it, I accidentally bumped the button that puts my mouth on autopilot, because it said, "That's a load of crap, Captain, and you know it".    Jim Butcher, _Small Favor_