[Coco] CoCoNet status

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Dec 21 16:05:24 EST 2008

At 11:49 AM 12/21/2008, you wrote:
>My further thought along the emulator line was that there could be a
>repository of games and apps all on DSK images located out on the internet
>and sorted in a very strict manner.  I carry VCC around on a thumb drive
>with some DSK images and that would free me to have access to a whole
>repository of images from any net connected pc.  Could prove a fun project
>as it develops over time.
>
>Appreciate all the things you do for the community Roger, you help to keep
>things alive and push the envelope....
>
>Tom

Support for the real CoCo will be the first focus but hopefully one
of the emulators, perhaps VCC since it's the latest-active, will have
a CoCo bitbanger to PC COM port translator with precise timing.  That
would give the emulated CoCo running CoCoNet the ability to still use
virtual drives on the PC, the web, and to download web pages and
files to virtual disks.  In other words, it would all work the same
as on a real CoCo.

The 5-feet CoCoNet cables will be ready in a few weeks.  My socketed
ROM paks won't be available probably until the middle of
February.  Without a socketed floppy controller or some other type of
cartridge with a 28-pin ROM socket in it, you'll either need my pak
or an existing Disk BASIC 1.1 floppy system, a 64k CoCo 2, or a CoCo
3.  The CoCo 2 has to be put in ALL-RAM mode before you can LOADM the
DOS patches.  A CoCo 3 is already ready to LOADM the client patches.

After LOADM'ing the client into the Disk BASIC 1.1 ROM area, you
don't need to EXEC anything.  The patches are also done orderly and
safely so you don't have to worry about crashes.  The CoCo is ready
whether you LOADM'ed the client or you booted up with a patched Disk
BASIC 1.1 ROM.

I haven't made a Disk BASIC 1.0 patch yet.  Is anyone using 1.0 ??

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com