[Coco] Retro computing and what's worth it...

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 16 23:30:33 EST 2008

Michael Robinson wrote:

> I decided to get a Playstation II hoping to put Linux on it so my
> nephew can C program and play more modern games.  Well, how do I
> get a Playstation II compatible Linux system without paying a
> mint?  Someone on the Linux list has suggested that I need a $60
> mod chip, but how will that affect the Playstation when it comes
> to supporting video games?

Installing most PS2 modchips is not for the feint-hearted. And be warned
that certain models of PS2 have problems with laser-burnout when used with
modchips.

Since modchips are designed to allow users to play copied games, the
game-playing ability of the PS2 won't be adversely affected.

I wouldn't say that a modded PS2 is your best choice for a game/programming
platform - you'll need to add a hard disk for instance, and adapters for
mouse & keyboard. And linux distos for consoles tend to run quite slow and
require tweaked packages in some cases. Not the best platform for a beginner
programmer.

For "modern" games you need a reasonably high-end PC or course, but for
programming you don't need much grunt at all. I'd suggest a cheap 2nd-hand
(unmodded) PS2 for games and a cheap "throw-away" PC for programming - which
could probably be had for as much as a mod chip.

Regards,