[Coco] torn on getting a coco...

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 07:29:17 EST 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Michael Robinson wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/Olivetti-XM-4311-DSDD-360k-5-25-PC-Floppy-Disk-Drive_W0QQitemZ320285715890QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
> And the shipping on that to Scappose, which isn't far
> by any means, is, drum roll, $14.49.
>
> At least someone is finally offering one for less than $150.
> Even so, this is approaching $50 shipped.  The prices I see
> right now range from $29 to about $89, minus the shipping
> of course.
>
> I don't know about everyone else on here, but $13 for a 1.44 meg drive
> at your local electronics store is way less then $50.  $50 is getting
> close to the price of a COCO 3, which can be had from cloud-9 for $60.
>
> Now then, 360k drives aren't the only choice.  There are also, drum
> roll. 720k drives.  Let's take a look at those.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/720K-Floppy-Drive-Sankyo-FDU380-3-5-Disk-Sharp-PC-4501_W0QQitemZ140106395766QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
> They support more rugged media and, they store more.  This drive is in
> the $300+ range.  I think most people without extra cash lying around
> will think twice about getting this drive and even if you don't,

Even in the electronic parts vacuum that I live in, there are at least
four establishments that accept, scrap or resell older equipment.  One of
them has bins full of both types of diskette drives for $1 each.  Do you
have any local high schools or colleges that periodically scrap older
systems?  That's a good way to get freebies.