[Coco] Color computer these days...

Gary bear at bears.org
Wed Dec 10 11:00:36 EST 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Michael Robinson wrote:

> coco 1,2, and 3, what about dreams of a coco 4?  Could a
> coco 4 be done?  What would it look like?  Would it have a
> modern AT keyboard, a gig of ram, the original instruction

I've given this a little thought -- like those "What if--" stories where
someone goes back in time and changes some facet of history and throws the
whole thing into a different path.

(Please correct for any of the REAL history I have wrong in setting up
this hypothesis)

Suppose Apple had flamed out along with Commodore, TI, Atari, and everyone
else, leaving Radio Shack holding the Color Computer as the primary
competition to the IBM PC compatables.  A different management team is in
charge, and they decide to focus on the machine -- to make it better, keep
it competative, and move it forward in the market.  What would the
machines introduced in sequence be like, keeping with the times.

The COCO3 was available from 1986-1991.  Suppose, in 1990, realizing how
long in the tooth the machine was, Tandy introduces a Color Computer 4.
It would have to have filled the same niche -- that $250 or so cost point.

Microsoft had already forced the issue of the ROMs by making Tandy go to
Microware to build patches on top of the existing Extended BASIC.
Presumably this would have continued -- maybe forcing a move to OS9 in ROM
with some kind of emulation for old Disk BASIC.

Would Motorola have continued the development of the 6809 processor, or
forced this hypothetical Radio Shack to use something like the 68302
microcontroller -- to get the benefits of a 68000 based architecture AND
serial ports, etc. in a single chip?  And then again use an emulator to
run old programs?

Other machines of the day were offering true RS232, stereo 8-bit sampled
and synthesised sound, and 256 color 640x480 graphics.  How close COULD
Tandy have come to those features?

I dunno -- just something I've been mulling around.  I no longer have
catalogs and such to know what off-the-shelf components were available in
1990, nor any idea what agreements Tandy could have made with
manufacturers for custom parts.

In any case, it would probably be x86 based by now.  (I actually miss the
diversity of 1980s machines... my pals envied the CPU on my machine, and I
envied the graphics and sound on theirs.  Those were the days!)

Peace,
Gary

   *********    *****    **                  Gary Coulbourne
******* ********* **** ****`-            Systems Administrator