[Coco] Question about Domain Names & Registration

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Sun Aug 31 20:22:45 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 13:58 -0500, Dave Kelly wrote:

> HTML seems to be the language of choice for most programmers.  Start
> with what you will be doint the most of.

HTML is simply mark-up, it's not a programming language in any real
sense.  All presentation to browsers is HTML, for the most part; other
languages can be run server side, but they generate HTML.  There are
exceptions for embedded items, e.g., Java apps and Flash, and there is
provision for simple client-side crap a la Javascript.  But they are
encapsulated in HTML.

> > Is there only one registry?
> Yes, but lots of resellers.

Not entirely correct.  There are many registries as well as registrars.
E.g., the registry for .org is run by an entirely different organization
(PIR) than .net and .com (Verisign).

It is further complicated by the fact that registrars will typically
partner with other sellers who will rebrand.  But only registrars are
given access to registry APIs.

And how do I know all this?  I used to manage the network engineering
group for Register.com, years ago, when they were a much bigger player.
(They still handle at least 10% of the world's DNS traffic.)  So I am
all too familiar with the vicissitudes of DNS and domain registration..

C.