[Coco] Question about Domain Names & Registration

Dave Kelly daveekelly1 at embarqmail.com
Sun Aug 31 14:58:50 EDT 2008

Brian Goers wrote:
> I would like some information about starting a web page.
> I have a few questions. Like, what language to write it in if you are
> not real good at programing, how to keep it secure.

HTML seems to be the language of choice for most programmers.  Start
with what you will be doint the most of.

I would go here for learning.
usergroup:   alt.html
on the web:
    http://www.w3.org/      (more than you want to know, but invaluable )
     http://www.alistapart.com/stories/betterliving/         (again too
much )
> I will be writing it under Windows XP for now, soon under Linux.
The  CSS files and HTML files when validated on W3C will run on any
platform regardless which platform they were created on.

> Where to check for domain names,
Whoever you register your domain name will not allow names to overlap.
> how much is reasonable to pay.
Depending on your needs, expect to pay between $75 to $200 a year. Be
sure to check the storage space and bandwidth meet your needs.
> Is there only one registry?
Yes, but lots of resellers.

> Anything you want to tell me that I don't know about.
We don't know what you don't know. And I have a hurricane in a couple days.

Dave