[Coco] Setting up a BBS

Rod Barnhart rod.barnhart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 09:14:24 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Tony Mori <tonym at compusource.net> wrote:

> If someone is going to do a hardware-based (ir, REAL coco) BBS needing
> TCP/Ip access,
> and for the purposes of getting press for CoCoFest, I can provide on
> extended loan 1 or 2
> Digi One SP serial <-> TCP/IP Devices.

Tony,

I am doing this project via real hardware, and it's been a real blast
so far... Thanks for the offer of an extended loan, but I don't think
it's necessary. I had considered purchasing a Lantronix unit for
com<->TCP connectivity, but discovered a free Windows package that
does what I need - including Hayes modem emulation. The advantage of
using this setup is that if I do need CoCo emulation (for example, to
verify that stock CoBBS doesn't run on a CoCo3, but does a CoCo2), a
Windows 98 box is right there with both of Keil's CoCo emulators on
it.

The project moves forward, just a little differently at this point. I
can attempt to modify CoBBS for use with a CoCo3, or use another DECB
BBS I stumbled across - one that says it was designed to run on a
CoCo3 (Color Legends BBS -
http://www.doki-doki.net/~lamune/computers/coco/oldindex.html). And
ALLMEM is still a possibility. Learning OS9 to run RiBBS is also not
out of the question. Which brings me to a crossroad - which route do I
take? While getting a CoCo-based BBS online via telnet will be cool
simply because it hasn't been done yet, would a cassette-based BBS up
the geek factor even more?

At any rate, I'm rambling again. Time to talk is over - it's time to
do ;) I'll keep everyone posted with my progress (and I apologize if
you're already tired of hearing my progress)

Rod