[Coco] Setting up a BBS

Tony Mori tonym at compusource.net
Mon Aug 25 01:25:10 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allen Huffman" <alsplace at pobox.com>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 11:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] Setting up a BBS

> On Aug 24, 2008, at 10:32 AM, RJRTTY at aol.com wrote:
>> At least I still have a  working drive, or I might have been stuck  with
>> ALLRAM  ;)
>
> You know, it dawns on me we might be able to use this to our  advantage,
> and get some press for the CoCo Community. I expect just  having a retro
> 80's BBS online (on a CoCo, Commdore 64, etc.) might be  notable on some
> geek news site, but having something running off of a  CASSETTE might get
> more notice.
>
> Perhaps as we get closer to CoCoFest 2009, we can see about getting  some
> press this way.
>
> I have not had time to keep up with the CoCo List in awhile, but this  is
> a project I think could be fun (especially given the various other  things
> going on right now we'd like to tell the world about).
>
> And I'd really like to see StG Net resurface. That was one slick set  of
> commands.
> --

If someone is going to do a hardware-based (ir, REAL coco) BBS needing
TCP/Ip access,
and for the purposes of getting press for CoCoFest, I can provide on
extended loan 1 or 2
Digi One SP serial <-> TCP/IP Devices.

To look at the capabilities, go here:

http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/digionesp.jsp

This literally has a 9-pin serial port on one side, Rj45 ethernet jack on
the other, and does RS-232 and RS-485.

And I MIGHT have a WiSP WiFi (802.11b) version, as well, which is covered
here:

http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/digiconnectwisp.jsp
Which is similar, but goes serial to TCP/IP via WiFi, as opposed to Cat5
ethernet.

By "extended loan," I mean I'd like to get it/them back at SOME point, but
no real time limit.
This can be discussed with whoever is interested.

I might also have a few Lantronix units as well, bit ethernet and wifi, and
I believe the Ethernet units
have (2) serial port. I'd have to dig those up to get the model numbers for
you to refer to online.

Tony