[Coco] Setting up a BBS

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 24 07:44:48 EDT 2008

Rod Barnhart wrote:
> Here's a bit of a progress report on where I'm at with the BBS
> project. While setting up my CoCo, I discovered both drives from my
> FD-502 system appear to be bad, as does drive 1 from my FD-501 system.
> At least I still have a working drive, or I might have been stuck with
> ALLRAM ;)
>
> I discovered Ultimaterm 4.0 among my CoCo floppies, so I was able to
> test out my CoCo<->PC null modem cable. It works fine, so I fired up
> the tcp<=>comport software and typed atdt192.168.1.254 and got the
> login prompt to my Linux server, as expected.
>
> Now I just need to transfer CoBBS over to the CoCo, but have no 5 1/4"
> drives in any of my PCs. Transmitting each file via Xmodem between
> Hyperterminal and Ultimaterm is a bit tedious for 2AM, so I will
> resume that sometime tomorrow.  Some of the filenames appear to start
> with a leading space. Will Ultimaterm let me save the files that way?
>

> --
> Rod Barnhart

If your old drives were good when you put them into storage, about the
only thing that could cause drive failure now is dried up lubricant.
Wipe down the rails with light oil and inspect other moving parts.

You can use 3.5" drives with a Coco without any changes. Typically that
will make a 3.5" drive #2 in 0-3 unless you modify the ribbon cable or
are lucky enough to have dip switches in the drives.

If you are concerned about file names, why not change them? There does
not seem to be any reason why a file name on a Coco should have a
leading space. In any case, if you do use Ultimaterm to make the
transfers, you can always rename the files back to the original once on
the Coco system.