[Coco] CoCo magazines & Other Documentation

Dean Leiber adit at nationsdial.com
Wed Aug 20 12:06:00 EDT 2008

On Aug 19, 2008, at 12:28 AM, Tony Cappellini wrote:

Hello

I can't make it to the Cocofests, I live in California..
How can I get one of these 5 DVD sets of docs?

I believe that you should still be able to get the last DVD ver. (4.0
I think) from Glenside. I'm not sure who to contact over there about
it though. Perhaps pop over to their website and drop them an e-mail.
If you don't get a response drop me a line and I'll see what I can
do. I maintain the archive but I don't sell any DVDs of it myself
since it is a community project. Since Glenside is the last CoCo Club
left it seemed logical to have them do the DVD distribution and it
also helps to support the CoCoFEST!.

5 DVDS? How can there be so much documentation for the COCO?
That's almost 20 GB????????

thanks

Tony

As for being 20GB, I'm not sure of the exact size now. However there
is usually some empty space on the DVDs because they are organized in
categories. The set includes Dragon Stuff (magazines, etc.), CoCo
Magazines, manuals, advertising flyers, etc. The 20GB is not all
entirely unique material because it was organized with the thought of
eventually being downloadable, so, material could be available as a
zip archive of images, PDF of the entire manual, and PDFs by the
chapter or section. Now add to that some smaller manuals have a
single page version (good for viewing) and a double page version
(good for printing) and you see how the archive can easily grow to be
very big. If I'm not mistaken, most of the space of the archive is
actually taken up by magazines. A 50 or 100 page magazine takes up a
huge chunk of space. Probably if I re-encoded all older PDFs in a
newer format, I could shrink the total size considerably but I don't
have the time for that.

Dean