[Coco] [Color Computer] More on Hot Coco scans

theother_bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 10:31:31 EDT 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Arthur Flexser <flexser at fiu.edu>
To: COCO - Tandy Color Computer List <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:49:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] [Color Computer] More on Hot Coco scans

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, theother_bob wrote:

>> It was several months later before I discovered the Rainbow at a mall bookstore.
>> I always liked TCCM better than Rainbow; it just seemed more community oriented
>> as opposed to the Rainbow's larger but more impersonal (corporate?) feel.
>>
>> It always stuck in my craw that when TCCM was discontinued I never got the
>> last issue (or three?) despite being a paid subscriber. They sent Personal
>> Computing or some other garbage instead.
>>
>> Bob

> I never felt that way about Rainbow vs. TCCM.  Rainbow had its own personal
> feel, to me.  Plus, they provided the CoCo community with a unique service in
> organizing Rainbowfest, truly a labor of love in my opinion, and a chance for
> the CoCo community to get together on a face-to-face basis.  Say what you will
> about Lonnie's corporate character (and I probably won't disagree with you), but
> Lonnie was also a genuine CoCo enthusiast, who duplicated the first Rainbow
> issues by photocopy, stapled in the corner.  The magazine did have a
> personality, from those first photocopied issues to the final tabloid newsprint
> ones.

> (I might tip my hat to Dennis here, for publishing a CoCo mag also distinguished
> by a definite personality, though it lasted only a year or two, Under Color.
> WTG, Dennis.  Somebody ought to undertake the relatively manageable task, if you
> can get the issues, of scanning and posting this magazine, assuming Dennis has
> no objections.)
>
> Art
>
> P.S.  Odd that you didn't get the final issues of TCCM--I did, then they started
> sending Creative Computing until I called them and asked for a pro-rated refund
> instead, which I received.  I've had a visceral dislike for Ziff-Davis since
> their contemptible act of buying up TCCM for the apparent purpose of folding it
> in order to transfer readers over to Creative Computing.

Well at the time I was like 14 and had no concept of "consumer rights" to call
and complain to some corporation about my $3 magazine. And I suppose the
preference of one magazine over the other was based on it being my first.
I was pretty isolated in my CoCo habit. All my friends had Commodores or
Model I/III. I was never able to make it to a Rainbowfest either. The one thing
I wish I had known was how large of a CoCo user base there was in El Paso,
but I never heard of any El Paso CoCo users groups or BBSes until years after
they were gone. Oh well, at least I was able to do things that made my Commie
friends jealous... well the Vic-20 guy anyway. ;)

Bob