[Coco] [Color Computer] More on Hot Coco scans

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Tue Aug 19 01:49:42 EDT 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, theother_bob wrote:

> It was several months later before I discovered the Rainbow at a mall bookstore.
> I always liked TCCM better than Rainbow; it just seemed more community oriented
> as opposed to the Rainbow's larger but more impersonal (corporate?) feel.
>
> It always stuck in my craw that when TCCM was discontinued I never got the
> last issue (or three?) despite being a paid subscriber. They sent Personal
> Computing or some other garbage instead.
>
> Bob

I never felt that way about Rainbow vs. TCCM.  Rainbow had its own personal
feel, to me.  Plus, they provided the CoCo community with a unique service in
organizing Rainbowfest, truly a labor of love in my opinion, and a chance for
the CoCo community to get together on a face-to-face basis.  Say what you will
about Lonnie's corporate character (and I probably won't disagree with you), but
Lonnie was also a genuine CoCo enthusiast, who duplicated the first Rainbow
issues by photocopy, stapled in the corner.  The magazine did have a
personality, from those first photocopied issues to the final tabloid newsprint
ones.

(I might tip my hat to Dennis here, for publishing a CoCo mag also distinguished
by a definite personality, though it lasted only a year or two, Under Color.
WTG, Dennis.  Somebody ought to undertake the relatively manageable task, if you
can get the issues, of scanning and posting this magazine, assuming Dennis has
no objections.)

Art

P.S.  Odd that you didn't get the final issues of TCCM--I did, then they started
sending Creative Computing until I called them and asked for a pro-rated refund
instead, which I received.  I've had a visceral dislike for Ziff-Davis since
their contemptible act of buying up TCCM for the apparent purpose of folding it
in order to transfer readers over to Creative Computing.