[Coco] RAINBOW scans

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Wed Aug 13 14:44:54 EDT 2008

I looked at the scans, Chuck. They may not be the highest quality, as
someone pointed out, but they are there and very readable! That's really
all that matters at this point. I too think it's just something that
will disappear with time. This needs to be done even if the copies only
go to a few die-hard coco enthusiasts. At least there will be some
electronic copies floating around to be found later.

You are wrong about the copyright not being your responsibility though.
The magazines are up on a publicly accessible site where anyone who
knows the address can view and/or make copies. That's not "fair use". If
the site were password restricted you'd probably get away with it. Low
risk, I agree, but technically you can be held liable.

That said, a copyright is only as good as the enforcement. With Lonnie
gone I don't think anyone is interested in copyright protection of the
Rainbow magazine. Lonnie's only concern was that he could be held liable
for copyright violation if he just gave permission to let the magazines
be freely distributed because of the contract terms with the various
writers, or if the programs were used in some way that violated the
contract. I really think that was bogus, he just didn't want his "baby"
to be discredited in any way. I talked to him about taking the Rainbow
over years ago, right before publication ceased, and he just wasn't
interested. He basically said if it had to die it would be by his hand
while it was still a reputable magazine. He didn't want someone to take
it over and "run it down" before dieing a slow death. I understood and
respected that, but it could have survived with a low overhead "hobby"
publisher for a lot longer, though it would have regressed to more like
it started. Luckily technology had improved to the point it still would
have been better than mimeographed sheets! We discussed just buying the
mailing list, but he wanted commercial rates for that. In the end I just
took out an ad for another CoCo support magazine ("the world of 68'
micros" -- so it could support 68K OS-9 as well as DECB and 6809 OS-9)
in the last issue... I think he gave me a small discount, don't recall now.

In order to collect damages from a copyright infringement the
complainant has to prove damages. If sales of back issues of Rainbow are
hurt by the scanning, or the people scanning and selling the DVDs are
making a good bit of money over and above a copy/shipping/handling fee,
then there is grounds for a damages lawsuit. Otherwise, about all a
copyright holder can do is ask you to stop. I'm sure there are steps
they can take if you don't, but in every instance of something obsolete
being copied that I've ever heard of the "cease and desist" order is the
first step, and unless a monetary loss can be proven, it usually stops
there. I've seen this happen several times with old automotive
documentation, but in general the auto and parts makers don't care
because there's no money in it for them. They occasionally sell the
rights to old manual to a third party, who then enforces ownership of
the copyright.

If the violations continue there are fines that can be levied in court,
but since the complainer doesn't get that money, it rarely goes that
far. But it could. The violation is at your own risk, but the risk is
low. Think of it like speeding -- occasionally someone gets caught and
fined, but compared to the number of people who go over the speed limit
(or the times you speed without getting caught), the odds are with the
speeder.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"