[Coco] joistick problem

Tim Fadden t.fadden at cox.net
Sat Aug 23 17:01:43 EDT 2008

All,

I fired up my coco3 that hadn't been in use for quite some time. The
first problem I had was with poor chip and cable connectons. After using
DeoxIT and DeoxIT Gold on all chip contacts/sockets, cables etc every
thing seems to be quite stable! So far I have discoverd only one problem
I havn't been able to figure out. That is:

The joystick response was about 1 second behind the movement after my
initial startup. After the machine has been on for about 24 hours the
differenc is less than 1/2 second. It appears to me that some timing
somewhere is off and makes me suspect a capacitor or resistor somewhere
that has drifted closer to its correct value after some use. I have only
used it under os9 lvl2 with multivue The symptom is exactly the same
with or without the hi-res interface, and in both the left and right
joystick ports.

Also, which may or may not be of importance, this is a re-pack, using a
PC power supply etc.

Has anybody seen this? And if so, could you give me some trouble
shooting pointers?

I Am a system support engineer for Sun Microsystems, and work on million
dollar plus systems, and If I had this problem would change out the
mother board! ha ha ha unfortunately that is not an option.

Thanks in advance,

Tim Fadden