[Coco] CDi Emulator

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Apr 21 22:55:31 EDT 2008

Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 05:27 PM 4/21/2008, you wrote:
>
>> On one of my searching missions for stuff for the archive, I came
>> across a CD-I emulator. Since, a CD-i player is nothing more than a
>> specialized OSK machine, I was wondering if anyone had tried to use
>> one of these emulators as a generic OSK emulator? Any chance of
>> turning one of these into a MM/1 or TC/70 emulator?
>>
>> Dean
>

> I was heavy into the CD-i research some years back but not much turned
> up out of all the sites I landed on.  I wanted to get my Phillips unit
> to run as a computer somehow running Linux or just anything worthy of
> being an OS.  All of the places I visited seemed to be ghostware or
> abandoned ideas.  Eventually I sold the unit knowing that I could
> always pick one up on ebay later if I needed one.
>
> What about trying to get an actual CD-i running as an MM/1 ?   :)

You'd need to add a floppy controller and a SCSI interface to make it
very much like the MM/1, and you'd need to somehow wedge the MM/1's
WINDINT/KWindows stuff in there, wresting control of the video hardware
from the (ROM-based) CDRTOS stuff if you want it to really run MM/1
software.  Then you'd need to add a keyboard, which I believe were
available for the CD-i, but are probably pure unobtanium now.  The CD-i
players did have a bus connector for the MPEG expansion board, so it
might be possible to add the required hardware there.  While it might be
technically possible to do, I don't quite see it being worth the
effort.  But I could certainly see a single software emulator that would
run both CD-i and MM/1 software.  That would be really cool.

JCE