[Coco] DSK files to real 3.5" disks

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Mon Apr 21 21:55:20 EDT 2008

>I just got a 3.5" drive to format disks and give me back a nice empty
>listing after a DIR.
> Now I want to transfer some DSK files to real disks.
> I just tried using DSKINI.EXE ,just as I did many times with 5.25" disks.
> But it just won't work. I keep getting write error on track 0 , head 0,
> sector 1.
> I used the same disk that the CoCo formatted, and also tried with another
> 2 that have MS-DOS fat.
> All the same.
> Is there something I must change somewhere? Or DSKINI just won't work with
> 3.5" disks?
>
> Diego

Only a few questions immediately come to mind,

1; Are you using 720k 3.5" media?

2; Does your BIOS see the 3.5" drive?

3; Are you working with DOS, Windows 9X or XP?

FWIW; I have done this in the past.  I just tried it on one of the last two
machines that have BIOS's that can see 5.25" drives and it does not seem to
see the 3.5" drive.  Just one more thing I need to check out when I get some
free time.

Bruce W.