[Coco] MESS ... getting started

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 23:11:47 EDT 2008

Here's what I did tonight that began as working, then stopped working..(I
should have added this in my first post)

I called up messgui.exe
In a subdirectory called BIOS, I have the coco3.zip
This did work, but my os9boot did not. Don't know why, but at least the
RSDOS did work.
 Then, I decided to see what the latest, greates MESS would do. I downloaded
the newest from the mess site.
 Before I unzipped it, I created two new subdirectories under the original
MESS directory. I moved the original mess to MESSorg and the newest mess to
the other directory MESSnew.
 I copied all the files from the old mess to the new directory, MESSold,
including the BIOS/coco3.zip.
 After that, it failed to work.
 So, in mess after I started it, I right clicked on coco3 (ntsc) and clicked
on properties, then in the software tab, I chose the directory the coco3.zip
file is in.
 Then clicked on apply.
 The clicked on the coco3(ntsc) and when it tried to run, it came back and
said:

coco3.rom    NOT FOUND
OPTIONAL disk11.rom   NOT FOUND
OPTIONAL disk11.rom   NOT FOUND

After clicking OKAY it then reports:

MESS encountered a fatal error: Initialization error

Click OK
 and then I'm back to the inititial

 This version is MESS 0.97.1

 The latest from the MESS site is V.123 which doesn't make sense. I would
think the version number would be higher.

George