[Coco] CoCo 3 RGB to Y/Pb/Pr

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sun Sep 30 01:43:52 EDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 29 September 2007, Mike Pepe wrote:
>> Gene might know the technical answer to this:
>>
>> How hard would it be to convert the CoCo 3 analog RGB to Component inputs?
>>
> I assume you mean outputs, since the gime's builtin d/a's suck a pretty high
> vacuum.
>
> One would have to capture the gime's video reads right from memory and run it
> though some sort of a made up d/a, one that's 10x faster than whats in the
> gime.  The thought _has_ crossed my mind.

I guess I need to wrap my head around what those three RCA jacks are
really feeding. I'm guessing the "Y" signal is the monochrome composite
sync and video, and Pr and Pb are two differential chroma signals. I
should just break out the scope and see what's going on there.

I agree though that the GIME's outputs are pretty sucky. Assuming the
CoCo3-on-a-FPGA project goes well, we'd be able to actually capture that
data and make a much better signal out of it.