[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Coco flash cartridge

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 29 23:34:49 EDT 2007

Roger, if my memory isn't failing... the FLASH carts are paged in 16k
or 32 K blocks.  At least it sounds like that was the intent.

If you always want to boot the same ROM the mechanical switch model
would be best.  You'd have to load up a program that loads the image
and writes it to the FLASH chip but after that you could boot off of
it.   You'd need a multipak or have to load from cassette.

Roger Taylor asked -------------------------
I have a question about the CoCo flash cartridge project. I don't
have the long thread anymore and was wondering if the cartridge will
let the CoCo write to an 8K ROM image that is (then and later)
treated like a ROM Pak.

I'm looking at the option of making an 8K programmable ROM Pak like
such whether it uses static RAM or Flash memory, etc. but I'm not
sure what chips are compatible with this idea. There's just too many
chip speeds and pin configurations to make a quick decision without
further research or hearing stories from someone who's accomplished
any of this.

If I make such a pak, it would be as simple as possible, containing
nothing but the function of writing to the memory and later having it
been seen like a ROM Pak.

--
Roger Taylor