[Coco] make-do ROM Paks

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Sep 17 11:36:01 EDT 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007, Mark Marlette wrote:
>Roger,
>
>I sill have about 300 full size cases. Bought all stock out when
>vendor was going out of business. Tried to get some half size ones
>from a former vendor but I was to late when I contacted him. He threw
>them last summer. :(
>
>I have a template that I use when I make the SuperIDE cases at home.
>There is a fair amount of clean up required and the SuperIDE takes a
>bit of time to assemble and get out the door. Soon to have the
>SuperIDE stocked and on the shelf. Can't remember when we released it
>but I haven't to date been able to keep up with the orders. That is
>all changing.
>
>I'll be milling the cases on a Bridgeport shortly and will require no
>touch up when completed.

Mark, does your Bridgeport do CNC?  I have a 3 axis micromill with expanded
table capacity being run by emc2, and the case sizes contemplated would be
right up this puppies alley.  I can do 5.5x12 in a pinch, with about a foot
of z available, all to about .0001" accuracies at 10 ipm in any direction.
Code format is RS274D.  I can do lights out manufacturing, one piece at a
time.  Current cutters in stock are 1/4" flat and ballnose, 1/8" flat and
1/16" flat, plus a lot of the dremels carbide catalog.

I just built a new z axis drive for it.  I'd rebuilt it immediately after
buying it with a much better screw, but the basic design was so bad I
couldn't even reliably drill a hole in wood as it was binding the heads gibs
if any downforce at all was required.  I moved the driving screws attachment
to the head's sled to a point 3.3" in front of the post, reducing the binding
force on the gibs by about 2 orders, so I can now push a drill bit with about
150 pounds, 50x what it would take to drill plastic.

If you can get your cad proggy to spit out RS274D, not to be confused with
RS274X aka 'gerber' photoplotter, toss me a sample by private email & I'll
see if it will run here.  It might be an interesting experiment.  But I've
not found a converter that can take RS274X input and output RS274D.  The X
version throws away way too much of the cad proggy's vision of the part.