[Coco] 2764 EPROM

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 8 10:37:15 EDT 2007

On Saturday 08 September 2007, Bruce W. Calkins wrote:
>>> What Rodger is referring to is the later packs that had a
>>> small blob of black plastic in the middle of the small board.
>>>  Not a whole chip in sight.
>>>
>>> Bruce W.
>>
>> From: "Paul Fitch" <pfitchjr at bellsouth.net>
>> Well, it's the early pacs I'd think would be up for recycling.  Some of
>> those first rom pacs were were pretty lame.
>>
>> Still, what he really needs it what he originally asked for.  A stack of
>> blank PCBs suitable for plugging into the expansion port of the Coco.
>> Radio
>> shack used to make something like that, but I doubt there are any left.

I'd almost bet a run of 100 of those would slowly evaporate.  Humm, a good
project for my mill maybe?  If someone can do the drafting, and send me
something I can make into RS-274C g-code with a gerber translator or similar,
I'd be willing to go get some plated board and try. They should be Single
Sided after the edge connector, and no plated thru holes though.  I have
carbide bits going down to 1/16" and could find smaller I believe.  I'm
hoping the new Z axis drive I'm building will allow that precise a control
over depth.  No nasty chemicals involved when done this way.

>The very early ROM packs used 4K ROMs, Sometimes two of them.  Later
>versions used a single 8k ROM.  I combined two of them into one by
>piggybacking the chips with a switch to select between them.  By the time
>things evolved to the 16K ROMs they were apparently SMDs covered with a blob
>of black plastic looking stuff.  There may be a few other variations,
>especially among third party sources.  However I have not seen anything that
>had all the address lines needed for a 16K EPROM that could take a socket,
>or a conventional DIP chip.
>

>There were a few boards from Radio Shack and others that plugged into the
>CoCo port.  Most only had solder tabs on the port end.  I built an EPROM
>Burner on one.

I made one too, many years ago, that interfaced with the SS-50 bus of a z-80
board, cost about $25 at the time & a third of that was the ZIF socket.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)