[Coco] Another speed question

Becker, Gary Gary.Becker at amd.com
Fri Sep 7 11:00:14 EDT 2007

Thanks everyone for the comments / suggestions. I am getting ready to do
a 6551 because I want a serial mouse. And those drivers are already
written.

The main reason for using the 6850 was that I already had it from
another project and know it worked. But if I replace the 6850 with a
6551, then I have to re-write my DECB routines as well as the NitrOS-9
drivers. But it would be more compatible and people with a real CoCo
could use the driver with their serial port.

There is no clear winner for me. But I can delay the decision until I
get the mouse working; then decide what to do.

On a side note; it is funny what drives people. I never intended on
implementing a mouse for NitrOS-9. The decision was made when I played
the Solitaire game under NitrOS-9. Even though I have much better games
on my workstation; the thought of playing this simple game is driving me
to create more hardware for my CoCo3FPGA. The game is useable with the
keyboard mouse, but a real mouse would make it much better.

Gary