[Coco] Another speed question

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Sep 6 23:15:52 EDT 2007

On Thursday 06 September 2007, Becker, Gary wrote:
>I am using a UART compatible with the 6850, not the bit bang port. The
>6850 has interrupt generation capabilities, but I have never tested my
>implementation. My driver does not enable the interrupt capability and I
>intentionally disable CPU interrupts.

I just did a google search for details on the 6850 uart, but came up pretty
thin in the first 3 pages of hits.  No real data sheets fell out.

I know that the 6551 used in the dc connect modem pack and the rs-232 pack is
a fairly intelligent chip, and that the IRQ routines are already written for
this one.

Unless you can duplicate its code for the 6850, I'd be rather tempted to just
switch chips for one that is completely compatible with os9/nitros9 at any
conceiveable baud rate up to 115k.  The cpu loading is miniscule for the 6551
at any reasonable baud rate.

See the Rainbow's article on "The forgotten Chip" which describes how to
install a 6551 so that it actually works through the bit-banger port, I used
one of those to talk to a GVG 300-3A/B television production switcher for
about 13 years at WDTV.  I was replacing a $20,000 GVG EDisk option with a
coco2 running os9 level one with a couple of floppy drives, doing the job
with english filenames, and 4x faster than the EDisk.