[Coco] J & M Systems floppy controller

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Sep 15 23:48:29 EDT 2007

I have an old CoCo floppy controller I bought from Terry Laraway back
in 94 or 95 that fried a year or two later.  It's been at the bottom
of all of my CoCo boxes all these years and keeps getting ignored.

I just looked at it again and the EPROM socket is empty where I
probably pulled the ROM or EPROM and either sold it or misplaced
it.  The controller chip is socketed and is labeled 8406 SY6591.

I doubt I will ever use this as a controller so it looks like a good
candidate for a "ROM Pak" project board, if I can peel away any
unneeded edge pins/fingers and just leave the ROM-required ones.

It's a 24-pin ROM socket so obviously it can't use a 28-pin 2764 (8k)
EPROM, but it should be able to use a 2732 (4K) EPROM, correct?  I'm
just not sure why a 24-pin 8K ROM wouldn't be pin for pin compatible
with some EPROM of the same capacity.  Didn't someone mention such an
EPROM recently?

4K can hold some very useful tight coded ML apps, though, but 8K is
so much more to work with and could make this a nice ROM Pak game
development board if I can find a good 24-pin 8K EPROM to work in it.

Also, what card edge fingers can I cut away?

Thanks for any info.

--
Roger Taylor