[Coco] Tandy 1000s for CoCo case/parts?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Sep 9 11:34:32 EDT 2007

I was just prerusing the Vintage PC section on e-bay. There is a Tandy
1000EX (all in one, 360K drive in side) and a Tandy 1000 (two 360K
drives) currently at $10 each, $20 or so shipping each. Either would be
a good repackage case for a CoCo. The 1000 has a tray in the bottom of
the plastic case, IIRC, much like the Tandy 2000. I put the motherboard
on the tray of a 2000 case way back when. The only catch is you can't
use an MPI, and need a short ribbon cable to flip the disk controller
vertical or back over the motherboard in the 1000 case (not EX). The
2000 case is wide enough for a standard controller (and the EX case) --
I used a Disto SC2 with a SCSI daughter board to have a hard drive. The
item number for the EX is 140156188947, 1000 is 140156188949.
#260158208776 is a 1000HD with a DMP-105 for $25!  There are several
interesting "luggable" case candidates -- I've used a Kaypro II (works
with a shorty drive controller, no extra cable needed), and others have
used a Model 4P case. A 486 luggable w/monochrome LCD (180156119196)
shows up with a graphics card driving the LCD. Looks like a standard 8
bit graphics card, I wonder if the LCD is designed to plug into an RGB
port or the card has a special adapter? Might be worth it for the card
and adapter for other projects either way, if it goes cheap. If the LCD
works from RGB (or composite) it would be a fantastic case for a CoCo3!

Oh, and if you want to check the old competition, there's a 1982
Commodore 64 starting at $1299.99!! (and you thought $100 for a MC-10
was high...)

Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"
Magazine (AMC)