[Coco] Glenside IDE Controller Question...

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Oct 22 05:25:22 EDT 2007

>Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:37:09 -0700
>From: Randy Just <randyjust at comcast.net>

>Things appeared to be more promising, but the end result floppy
>appears like it is going to
>boot something and then just throws up patterns of numbers and
>letters on the screen.

???very strange.

OK, you have regular OS-9 around, right? Boot that and try dir and
dcheck on your nitros disks.

Disk 1 is the boot disk, yes, and has os9boot, CMDS, SYS, startup, and
other such things in the root directory.  dcheck should report it as
double-sided, 40 track, intact filesystem, with some blocks marked
allocated but not in file structure (that's the boot block itself).

Disk 2 is not bootable, and has only the NITROS9 directory in its
root.  dcheck should find this to be a completely good disk (though
old os9 dcheck may puke on the "6809L2" directory name.*)

Also, you may need to specify /t40 to dskini.exe (I have to on the
version I use, don't know about the one Bob sent you.)  try dskini /d
/t40 a: disk1.dsk

It also helps, sometimes, to format the disk on the CoCo before trying
to write a virtual disk to it.

As far as I know, DR-DOS should not be an issue.

If all else fails, I'll freaking snail-mail you physical disks.  But
you sound like you have the right equipment to do this.

*I'm not sure why OS-9 doesn't allow filenames to start with a
number.  It seems a silly restriction and one that has gone away with
NitrOS.

Good Luck!
Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org