[Coco] No MPI - any suggestions?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Fri Oct 5 13:01:54 EDT 2007

Simply using "CSAVEM" and "LOADM" doesn't work. I can't recall the
process, but you have to "CSAVEM" the exact start and finish location of
the program, and you have to use a special loader program to make sure
it goes in the correct memory location to work. Ah, I found the info!
Right in the CoCo book I wrote years ago.... "A program stored in a ROM
for the CoCo is normally a machine language program. BASIC programs can
be stored in a ROM, but must include a m/l loader to move them into an
area where BASIC can run them. The computer detects the presence of a
ROM Pak through the CTS (cartridge select) signal on the expansion port
or MPI. The CART (cartridge detect interrupt) line senses the presence
of a ROM Pak also, and auto executes it. Auto execution can therefore be
deterred in all but a very few ROM Paks by taping over pin eight on the
cartridge itself. The ROM can then be executed by typing EXEC 49152
(CoCo 1/2 ONLY) or EXEC 57360 (CoCo 3 ONLY), or the information can be
saved to tape with: CSAVEM (name),49152, 65279, 49152 This will save a
standard 16K ROM Pak (all CoCo 1/2 Paks are only 16K) to tape. A special
program or patch has to be used to save and run the larger ROM Paks from
RAM. Patches for some are available from Delphi or FARNA Systems." So
it's only program paks that are over 16K that require special loader
programs. I used to be FARNA Systems, and no longer have any of the
loaders. I'm not sure where they could be found now, but someone
probably has them. If they have the programs on disk already they have
to. You would run or execute the loader (most were only a few lines of
BASIC that loaded the programs in certain areas of memory) and it would
load and execute the main program. --------------- Date: Fri, 05 Oct
2007 18:02:54 +1000 From: Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>

I think in the short term cassette transfer is the way to go - via
soundblaster output of course. I'd imagine I could "CSAVEM" on the emulator
and "LOADM" at the same time on the real Coco?!? ...

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"