[Coco] Cassette Drives... (was: No MPI - any suggestions?

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Fri Oct 5 11:28:17 EDT 2007

Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:

>A story here.  I've had several CCR-81's & never could make any of them work
>dependably, seemingly it always took a virgin chicken sacrificed to make it
>work one out of 10 times.

Uhhh... because they sucked? ;-)

The CCR-82's were worlds ahead on reliability - If you're still looking for
reliable tape storage, Richard Hanson over at http://www.club100.org may
still have a few in stock...

Me? I "blew my wad" on the extended basic chip in my first CoCo2, and
couldn't afford any storage at the time. I was "just learning" anyway, so I
didn't mind retyping in different programs, as they were always different
and I was learning new things every time.

So, about 3 weeks later, an individual I knew was looking to "offload" a
"tape player" no-one else seemed to want.... I said I might be interested,
thinking I could try to hack it in to my CoCo2 setup... Turned out it was
"no hacking involved." ;-) $2 later, I was the new proud owner of a GE
Computer Data Cassette recorder (with unknown providence... :-O), so people
thought it was only for computers. Sucker still worked great a few years
ago the last time I pulled it out... but I'm pretty much a floppy (or
bigger) kinda guy now. ;^>

Prolly the last thing GE made that didn't suck... ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
  _±±_                          zmerch at 30below.com
(©||®)  If at first you don't succeed, nuclear warhead
  _)(_   disarmament should *not* be your first career choice.