[Coco] Status of the CoCo Lounge

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Tue Oct 2 20:48:29 EDT 2007

At 04:26 PM 10/2/2007, you wrote:
>Well Mark, it has been like living in a warehouse, literally. Boxes and Coco
>parts strewed everywhere and in my closet , boxes piled to the roof. I could
>not even have people come over for the last year, as there was no place even
>to sit, as my living room was just covered in boxes. I had only the couch
>and this computer to sit at and a path cleared so I could watch the TV.
>Its probably for the best that I was single at this time.
>-Glen

Ah ha!  The reason throws itself at us.  :)  I'm actually laughing,
not at you ofcourse, but at how this happens to all computer
buffs.  I was married from 1997 to 2001 and I watched my CoCo
cluttered bachelor apartment dwindle into "my corner of the
bedroom".  One of the bedrooms was my office but it soon became my
daughter's room, and over time the wife just didn't approve of my lab
slash apartment, even if that part was behind closed doors in two
rooms.  when I was single I used to keep those doors closed when I
had a lot of company over, but sometimes somebody would accidentally
end up in my CoCo zone and I'd hear things like "Whoa!!".   Ofcourse,
that could have been the large poster I had on the wall of a
bikini-clad beach babe.  :)  Next to it was a huge map of the U.S.
where I thumbtacked the locations of my Projector-3 customers, but I
doubt that the map had the same effect on the eyes.

Those were the days.  Actually, now I'm single again, but a full time
dad, so I can't have the posters, but the room I'm in now (the
CoCo3.com room) :) has become a semi-lab just from be walking in and
out of the room.  I walk in, I bring more stuff, I can't find a place
for it, it goes on the floor or I shift stuff around to the point
where I start making temporary tables out of boxes, filing cabines,
work benches, etc.  When does it end.  One day maybe I'll build me
what I started just before my divorce, a backyard lab...  a portable
16x20 shop with a wrap-around worktable big enough to hold
anything.  I had everything but the siding on it, and ended up
selling it to the landlord for peanuts since I couldn't bring it with
me.   Darnit.   Anyway, I've organized this room more over the past
few weeks and have set up my work bench for building CoCo gadgets and
projects, repairing CoCos, etc.  This will also be my PCB etching
table soon, I'm sure.

Back to the married thing... I can picture your wife or girlfriend
walking in for the first time, and tripping over the cord from a
floppy drive case and then having to walk through a maze of CoCo's
set out for decoration.  :)  Then she says, "if I'm moving in here...
this has got to go!".  Priceless.

What they don't know is that people always go back to what they're
familiar with, so over time I'd expect you to (for the love of the
CoCo world), just start periodically placing decorations about the
place, like 1 every month, starting with a CoCo service manual
mounted in a picture frame, then onto things like sitting a CoCo
smack on top of the entertainment center so you'll know
everything's...... "OK" from time to time.  ;)

You know you can't leave us, Glen.  You can clean up the place, but
once a CoCoNut, always a CoCoNut.

Cheers,

--
Roger Taylor