[Coco] Lost treasure found!

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Oct 2 10:28:11 EDT 2007

Mark McDougall wrote:
> I was rummaging through the bottom draw in my 'retro room' looking for
> a drive cable to connect a drive to my FD-500 controller on my Coco 3
> and I found a cartridge labeled "Coco Max".
>
> I knew my father had bought one years and years ago for the Coco 1 but
> assumed it had been given away with the rest of the system.
>
> Sweet! ;)

Nice.  That has an 8-bit ADC, as you probably know, which could be used
for all kinds of things.  I wonder if anybody's ever tried to digitize
audio with that.  I don't know how fast the ADC is, but I seem to
remember that Jeremy Spiller was digitizing audio with the CoCo's
joystick ports.  Probably the trickiest part would be massaging the
input signal.

I once did a write-up for my local CoCo club showing how I modified the
cartridge to respond to an address that didn't trample on GIME
registers, and patched CoCo Max to use it at the alternate address.  A
cut trace or two, a couple jumper wires, a switch, and a one byte
patch.  This would have been before CoCo Max 3 came out.

JCE