[Coco] No MPI - any suggestions?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 3 10:44:54 EDT 2007

Hi all,

First an aside:

Tonight I managed to setup my PC to be able to write coco floppy disks. Not
sure if anyone else has done it this way, but I created a bootable DOS
(Win98) CD-RW using Bart's Boot CD <http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/> together with
David Keil's Coco3 emulator and a sample of DSK images, as my hard drives
are NTFS and hence not readily readable from DOS.

Amongst a pile of 1.2MB drives I found one that appears to work reasonably
reliably and have installed that in my PC as floppy drive A.

Now I can boot from CD into the Coco 3 emulator and read/write real Coco
floppy drives, despite the fact that I have WinXP and NTFS partitions.

But back OT:

I have an FD-500 controller and floppy drive rescued (I believe) from a
TRS-80 Model 4P. It is able to read and BACKUP disks created on my setup
described above. So far so good.

However, in a few weeks I will be wanting to test my flash carts with
rompack binary images currently residing on my PC. Obviously I can transfer
them to my Coco via disk, but that precludes me plugging in the flash cart!

Can anyone suggest how I could transfer binary rompack images to my coco and
also have my flash cart accessible without an MPI?

Or better yet, has anyone got an MPI they don't want???

Regards,