[Coco] CoCo emulation on an IA-1 internet appliance

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Nov 12 20:05:13 EST 2007

I was just about to give up on this week-long project when I might
have gotten somewhere tonight?

The idea is to install MS-DOS on a 2-gig Compact Flash card so it
boots up when inserted in the IA-1.  All along the IA booted up and
kept reporting something to the extent of "Invalid or bad bootable
partition".  Nothing I tried worked, and I've formatted that booger
every which way possible, plus tried different parition types.

I am using my Linux laptop with a CF slot, running Fedora 7, to
parition and format the CF.  Tonight I did an fdisk /dev/sdb and
deleted the partitions, (w)rote it back, and rebooted, went back into
fdisk, created a new MS-DOS parition (o), added a primary partition
(n) (p) (1), then made sure the DOS compatibility flag was set, and
the bootable flag was set.  I then set the (t)ype to FAT16, (w)rote
it back to disk, then did a mkfs.msdos /dev/sdb1.  Now when I insert
the CF in the IA-1 and boot it up, no warning message but the cursor
just blinks in the upper left corner of the screen forever.

So I went back and changed the parition type to WIN95 FAT32, no
dice.  Did a mkfs.msdos -v -F 32 /dev/sdb1, no dice.

I'm not an expert on fdisk or mkfs, and I just can't seem to create
an MS-DOS bootable CF like so many others have done (although most
claim to have gone through painful experiences).

Earlier today I first tried using my IDE to CF adaptor and attaching
the CF as the primary slave HD on my old WIN95 box.  I formatted the
CF with the checkboxes for creating an MS-DOS system disk, which DID
put the files on the CF, but I still got the Bad bootable partition
message on the IA-1.

Joe from this list sent me pics of his IA-1 running the Keil emulator
just a day or maybe two after he received his IA-1 from an ebay
win.  I'm going into my second week at this and it's driving me
nuts.  :)  Any googling of the subjects turns up 90% cries and begs
from others now and in the past trying to do the same or similar
tasks like installing Windows 98, XP, etc. on a CF.  I'm just trying
to put the basic MS-DOS system files and make it bootable, with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and ofcourse I'll give credit
to the people to help make it happen and mention it on the front page
of the site where I posted the question, "can the webmaster turn this
into a CoCo?"  :)  Apparently...... not in less than 2 weeks without
some gurus stepping in.

I'll also put together a tutorial and play-by-play for anybody else
wanting to do the same project once I learn what I'm doing wrong and
some of the logic behind the partitioning scheme that "should" work
since the IA-1 is just a computer.  The BIOS is set to boot from the CF, btw.