[Coco] PS-2 Mouse on CoCo

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Nov 11 18:33:13 EST 2007

Bob Devries wrote:
> Both the Amiga and Atari ST use a "quadrature" mouse. I.e. thay have
> four outputs to the computer two for horizontal motion, two for vertical.
>
> It is much easier to use a serial mouse on a coco, especially under
> NitrOS9/OS-9, since drivers are already in place for using them.
>
> Since a number of PS/2 mice come with a 9-pin serial adaptor, wouldn't
> it just be a software issue to make them work on the coco's RS232 pak?

Hey, Bob,

FWIW, most PS/2 mice I see these days don't support the serial protocol
anymore.  I do have a couple that do and I prize them rather highly
because of it.  I keep them on my workbench along with a couple adapters
so I can easily plug into whatever horrible old PC comes my way.  In my
experience, the M'Soft branded mice will say on the bottom "Serial and
PS/2 Compatible" if they support both protocols.  I have also seen a few
older Logitech mice that support both.

JCE