[Coco] Cross Compiling Open Source Games to CoCo

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Nov 9 05:27:09 EST 2007

>Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 06:07:08 -0800 (PST)
>From: Derek <dml_68 at yahoo.com>
>
>I was wondering how hard it would be if one had the source code for a
>game to compile it to run on the CoCo 3.

The big issues include:
1)ANSI C versus our K&R C compiler.  Ansifront may help.
2)OS-9 lacks a proper "curses" library.  See the current "ncurses"
thread.
3)Code size.  Even under Level 2, if you want more than 64K you have
to do some tricky code.

I seriously doubt the big ones like Angband and Nethack could
reasonablly be ported to OS-9.  These games had problems fitting in
640K under MS-DOS!  Some of the older ones, like larn, omega, moria,
and hack should be possible to port, if someone wants to throw that
much time into them.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA